Wednesday, March 11, 2009

The Transformation from Old School to New Computer Technology

Denise Garner
Dr. Jason Farman
Essay 3
3-12-09
Word Count: 796


The Transformation from Old School to New Computer Technology

My long time friend and co-worker for over 20 years, Claudia Schmidt, has agreed to an interview with myself. Claudia has been a Tri-City citizen all of her life. She was born in Kennewick Washington and resides there still. She is a 48 year old custodian that works for the Pasco School District. She has worked as a custodian for 20 years, she is a single mother of two grown children and has worked the majority of her life as a labor worker. She had never thought to much about computer technology and how it has an empowering effect that would enrich her use of technology today. She had mentioned to me that she loves to hand write; but her job would be much less complex and the job load would be much more efficient all the way around if her management would let all custodians obtain a computer in their office. She said, "she knows that work orders would be done sooner, communication would be documented, and paper trails would be simplified."

Claudia grew up learning old school writing by hand or having the use of a typewriter. Claudia thinks old school technology should not be forgotten, but is ecstatic about all the new technology. Claudia noted that "if not for having a brother who is a computer programmer and two grown children that had the opportunity to learn technology, she probably would not be as aware of technology use and its advantages today." Another comment was said, she thinks it is wonderful how far technology has come in 35 years, "just think what the future can bring us now."

Denise: What was your main technique of writing when you were younger?

Claudia: I printed in elementary school, then started cursive writing around 4th grade. I used cursive
through middle school and high school. I took short hand for the rest of my high school years.

Denise: Was this process sufficient for you as far as time wise?

Claudia: I never thought much about the length of time in cursive writing until I learned short hand in my junior year. I put short hand to use for the rest of my high school courses.

Denise: Do you practice short hand at your job now?

Claudia: I do not use short hand now, it is not a necessity for my job description. I do not take many notes for much of anything right now. I have a meeting once a month and it requires very little writing. Although, I have paper work due monthly; I would prefer a computer to complete my monthly supply orders, daily check lists, and various other paper trails that need completion.
Denise: You have been talking about other ways of writing, do you use a computer at your job?

Claudia: No, I would like to have the use of a computer for my job. Not only for supply orders, time sheets, and other information; but to be able to place work orders without having to write one up, turn it into the secretary, and then wait for a response. I would be able to store information compactly and not have to hand write notes all over the place. Spelling can be a challenge for me, so instead of dragging out the dictionary, all I would need is the computer to resolve my spelling issues for any job related paper demands.

Denise: As a transformation from hand writing to a computer, do you use a computer anywhere else and is it difficult for you?

Claudia: Yes, at home the transition from writing to computers was difficult at first. It took time to understand the basic use of it at first, turning it on, getting to where I wanted to go on the computer, and just learning all the steps to process what I needed. I enjoy hand writing, but I especially appreciate computers, just the fact that they automatically spell check for you.

Denise: Going back to typewriters, did you have any problems?

Claudia: Sometimes I had to type everything, check all the spelling, check for mistakes and change out the typing ribbon. With the use of a computer, all of this has become simplified.

Denise: Typewriter vs the computer, which one is more beneficial to you now?

Claudia: I would have to say, I would benefit more from computers. It not only allows us to become more efficient; but the programs that are offered through the click of the finger are endless.

I never imagined in my mind how advanced the world has grown in the short period of time with all its technology methods, uses, and ideas.

No comments:

Post a Comment