Thursday, March 12, 2009

The oldies are grooving with the newbies

Zach woffinden
Dr. Farman
DTC 375
12 March 2009
758
Out with the old in with the new

Opening my email reveals yet another message from Verla Walters. The highly decorated background and pulsating font color and size overshadow the fact that Verla is the ripe age of 58. Coming from a secretarial background, Verla is no stranger to the world of typing. Using a typewriter for most of her job career Verla fully accepted the “new fangled” invention of the computer. What was surprising is this chatter bug in a private interview could not stop talking about how she uses the internet, email and cell phones, but once I moved our interview to the internet (via email) her answers became one liners.

The intimacy Verla finds in the Internet reverts back to her love for her family, with kids with families and living away from home, she finds comfort in being able to “talk” to them with just the click of a button, and have a response back just as quick. Now retired and working from her home, via the internet, Verla enjoys the comfort the computer has brought to her life and the life of her family and although she rolls her eyes at the idea on new technologies replacing new technologies and how to keep up, but her husband simply tells her, they will just have to learn.

ZACH: Before the computer what was your main avenue of communication?

VERLA: I used the telephone. It has been such a blessing. I have seen the evolution of the phone. You were first hooked to the phone, then it became cordless, and then the invention of the cell phone. This really helped me do the laundry (she laughs). When I was pregnant I was able to have constant communication with Nick (her husband). Through the years we have seen those cell phones become part of our world. We love the cell phones, and now Nick even does his business with the cell phone.

ZACH: What was your main profession?

VERLA: I worked a secretary; we mainly used a typewriter to do most of our work.

ZACH: How did the computer influence your secretarial work?

VERLA: The computer is great benefit to secretarial work…once you get past the learning curve. It is faster and the benefits are much greater than that of just an old IMB Selectrix.

ZACH: Was the transition to a computer difficult for you?

VERLA: No with my experience as a secretary I was able to pick it up easy enough.

ZACH: What were the downfalls between using a computer versus a typewriter?

VERLA: I cannot think of any drawbacks of using a computer versus and typewriter.

ZACH: What your experience with the “evolution” of the computer?

VERLA: When Nick and I were newly married, I used to run an ad in the Tri City Herald for those who needed a typist. I wanted to contribute financially, but once the personal computer was introduced no one needed to hire someone who knew how to type. I now work for a company called “Live Ops”. I work from home with my phone and PC. Everything is online and I love the dress code!

ZACH: How has the computer influenced how you communicate?

VERLA: I started typing in high school and took some courses in college; I was “key board friendly”. I can type faster than I can write, email for me is just so much faster. They taught you short hand in 60s and 70s, but now its not needed. But most of all email allowed me to keep in contact with my kids, and it continues to be my favorite. My son Aaron, served a mission for my church and at the time the only way to communicate was through letters, but when my daughter Amber left for Africa I was able to email her and find out weekly what she was doing. Email is instant here, and now.

ZACH: What are your feelings about new technologies?

VERLA: At times I think, “You can’t teach an old dog new tricks”. There is a learning curve for your generation, who has been raised with the evolution of so many programs. I have a Kodak picture-editing program I like to use but its now becoming outdated. Nick says we will just have to find a new program. So either I am going to learn something new or nothing at all.

ZACH: If I have any other questions for you, what is the best way to contact you?

VERLA: You can call or email me.

This Verla Walters has definitely entered the world of the computer.

No comments:

Post a Comment