Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Mikey's Typewriter

Ben Oliver
DTC 375: Language, Texts &Technology
Dr. Farman
March 11, 2009
Word Count: 962

Mikey’s Typewriter

My interview was with my mother. She likes to be called “Mikey”. We decided to focus our conversation on her transition from the mechanical typewriter to the word processor or computer. The bulk of mom’s time on the keyboard was done in college, writing letters to friends and relatives, and later when the family started a peach farm business. The transition from analog to digital was a combination of luxury and a rationalized necessity. My father was a mathematician and worked with computers so when a “bonafied” application came up for getting a personal computer my father took full advantage of it. The “bonafied” application was the bookkeeping. Using the computer for writing letters was the furthest thing from my father’s mind.

I was really impressed with the different techniques required to produce a good looking document on the old typewriters vs. using the word processor. Mom used the terms “cut” and “paste”. I thought cut and paste only applied to computers and kindergarten. It never occurred to me that at one time it was a physical activity used to prepare final documents. The image of my mom cutting out paper dolls for a college paper seems comical.

Mom didn’t seem to have too much trouble with the transition and when asked if she would like to go back she stated “I might collect one but I doubt I would use it. I think it would be fun to try one again. Actually I think I would get frustrated rather quickly especially if I was trying to do something important.”

Ben: Mom, you used to use a typewriter back in the day right?
Mikey: Yes.

Ben: How do you feel about the way we type now, I mean using word processors and computers and such compared to the old mechanical units.
Mikey: The old units are kind of romantic to me. I used them frequently in college and on a few jobs on the campus library. We had an old one at the house do you remember?

Ben: Yes I do. I liked the mechanical aspect of it, the smacking hammers and the effort to make a good dark letter.
Mikey: The old unit was sturdy and heavy. You used to jamb all the hammers together and make you father mad.

Ben: It was a game I played Mom. I would try to get every single hammer stuck up in one big cluster against the ribbon then I would stick my hand in and flick them down one by one until all of a sudden they would all fall neatly back into place.
Mikey: And you got your inky fingers everywhere.

Ben: So Mom, how did you make the transition? What was the turning point?
Mikey: I would probably still be using that old typewriter today but we started the peach business and needed a way to manage the bills. We purchased a very expensive computer and some software for it. It was exciting because it was new and frustrating because it was a bit different to interact with than the old typewriter.

Ben: Did it take long to adjust?
Mikey: No. I had more trouble getting used to moving around with the mouse than typing. It didn’t really take long to get used to but I just remember pawing at the mouse pad with the mouse rather than gliding it around smoothly at first.

Ben: What were some of the more remarkable things about using the computer to type a letter?
Mikey: At first it was just a big quiet typewriter with very little difference. After a while I found that I didn’t have to think things out from beginning to end. I could almost type random sentences then cut and paste them into the right order. When I would type with the old typewriters I was typing a final draft but the computer changed all that.

Ben: So you wrote it out by hand first then typed it up?
Mikey: It depended on what I was typing but yes. I remember in college typing papers and then literally cutting with scissors and pasting with tape to edit my papers then type them again for the final copy. It took a lot of time.

Ben: You could erase though right?
Mikey: Yes but it depended on the paper and the ink. Some paper wouldn’t allow you to erase without ruining it. Actually you sort of sanded the ink off some of the paper.

Ben: That seems crazy! Did you have a different thought process? I mean it seemed like you would want to take great care to minimize your mistakes.
Mikey: Yes. I was much more careful and planned ahead. I think it is one of the reasons I am good at spelling.

Ben: Because you took the time to look the words up before you typed them?
Mikey: Because you HAD to look the words up. You could have someone else proof read for you but it wasn’t quit as effective as the word processors are today and if you already typed the word it was too late anyway.

Ben: Lets back up a bit mom, what about electric typewriters. Did you ever use one with the ball type head on it?
Mikey: Your dad and I used the mechanical one then switched straight over to the computer. I don’t think I ever did use one of the electrics.

Ben: The editing gyrations you went through make it seem so barbaric. Do you think you would ever use one again?
Mikey: I might collect one but I doubt I would use it. I think it would be fun to try one again. Actually I think I would get frustrated rather quickly especially if I was trying to do something important.

No comments:

Post a Comment