Thursday, March 12, 2009

Today's Technology

Adam Roll
DTC:375
Dr. Jason Farman
3/12/2009
Word Count: 1066

Today’s Technology

For this assignment, I interviewed Tamara Tilley, my girlfriends’ mother. She is a 50 year old mother of three who has worked her entire life since age 16. Her jobs have ranged from working in a shirt factory to running an office for a cleaning company. Upon entering her supervising job in the cleaning office, she had a lot to learn about computers, at one point stating, “I had never even turned a computer on.” Growing up, Tamara had never been exposed to computers before this specific job, well, other than through her children at home. Right away in the interview, Tamara made it very clear that computers were extremely foreign to her, and in fact, still are to a degree. I was very impressed with the distance Tamara has came in her journey to learn computers. “I’m not dumb, I’m just very undereducated.” This statement hit me as sad in a way. Computers to me are natural and extremely essential. To Tamara, they are still frustrating and something of a luxury. She would love to take classes to learn more but does not have finances at this time to do so. She seems to be a very determined person. In Tamara’s career now, she runs the front office of an optometrist. She relies on the computer for scheduling, billing, and any other day to day tasks of a working office. Although a pen and paper feels much more natural to her, she has no choice but to bite the bullet and use the computer. She states that if it weren’t for her boss in the past pushing her into the position she had as an office supervisor, she still would probably have never turned on a computer. The technology of a computer seems very scary to Tamara. Afraid of breaking one and not knowing at all how to fix it, prevents her from really exploring it to its fullest potential. She strikes me as someone who knows what she wants in life, but just needs a little pushing to get there, such as she has had with computers.

Adam: What was your primary mode of writing technology?

Tamara: Pencil and paper was all I knew until my kids came home from school talking about computers and the internet and started printing off things they had typed. Of course they tried to get me to use a computer but I never really had any reason or want to use one. Then when I started working as the office supervisor for the cleaning company, I had no choice. My boss at the time, whose job I was taking over because she was leaving, just happened to be a good friend of mine and she knew how little I knew about computers. I had never even turned one on before. She made me a cheat book and sat for hours with me teaching me. So if it weren’t for her, I probably would still never have turned one on.

Adam: How was your transition from hand writing to computers?

Tamara: Well since I haven’t completely done it its hard to answer. I’m still so slow at typing that I don’t usually use a computer other than at work when I have to. It’s been rough and scary. Computers are not easy for everyone.

Adam: Were u looking forward to using a computer?

Tamara: No, not at all. Computers have always scared me. I hear people talking about viruses and computers crash-ing and I have no idea how to fix one if anything like that happens. I don’t want to click on something wrong and have that happen.


At work now, I will write on paper what the people say then transfer it into the computer. When someone's talking, I can’t write fast enough on the computer. They talk so fast and I am so slow at typing, I do shorthand on paper then transfer it to the computer.

Adam: How long ago was this when you first started using the computer?

Tamara: Well, it was 8 or 9 years ago when I first started, then later it was back to paper for a while when the com-puter broke. My boss didn’t get me another computer for almost 2 years after that. It was back to paper for the time being. Which was really weird. Then a couple years ago I switched jobs to one where I didn’t have to touch a com-puter. I hated that job though, it was very physically hard and tiring. I also worked every weekend. Then just a few months ago I started the job I have now in the optometrists office, where I do have to use a computer.

Adam: Have u ever used a typewriter?

Tamara: When I was in the 9th grade I took typing classes with a typewriter. I don’t remember much of it these days, but you know how they say, if you don’t use it you lose it.

Adam: What were some things to help u learn to use it?

Tamara: People such as my friends, co-workers and my kids helping me.

Adam: Prior to the computer, was there any other form of technology you used to write with?

Tamara: Other than the typewriter, In high school, not really. Just writing everything out with a pen or pencil.

Adam: So how often do you use a computer now?

Tamara: Everyday except on Saturday and Sunday, well I have email at home but I don’t write people. I just check my email. Like I said earlier, Im so slow at typing, it takes me so long to write people. I also go online to check my checking account, manage my Netflix account, and check my sons grades.

Adam: How has your life changed now that you use a computer?

Tamara: In my personal life, not that much. I am able to go on line and check my checking account, so that’s pretty cool. As for work, it has changed a lot. It is faster and more organized, it even saves time when storing and locating files.

Adam: So how far would u say you’ve come in your knowledge of computers?

Tamara: Oh a lot! I went from not even knowing how to turn one on to using email now. I would love to learn more about them when I can afford it. Maybe someday down the road.

No comments:

Post a Comment