Thursday, March 12, 2009

A New Edition to the Family

Eric Higginbotham
DTC 375
Dr. J. Farman
12 March 2009
Word Count: 1,014

My fiancée’s mom is a 46 year old, very down-to-earth individual that often puts others first. It’s a characteristic that often falls short to the majority of people I know. It’s rather unfortunate that she’s gone through some very tough times throughout her life. She’s a very strong individual that doesn’t ask for a hand unless it’s absolutely necessary. She hasn’t had a significant other since her divorce about 25 years ago. Fortunately, she’s always had her family and friends by her side to get through tough times of heartbreak and finance. Luckily, most of her family lives in town. In fact, her sister and parents live across the street. She’s been in the floral business for the last 25 years and absolutely loves the creative freedom that her job offers. She’s gained a certain level of respect around the town for her talent.

As a result of being very independent, she has picked up a strong sense of stubbornness. She still can’t grasp the idea of the ability to pause, fast forward, rewind and record TV with a DVR system. At times it can be a struggle for her to expand her horizons. She recently was introduced to a personal computer from her friends because they believed that she needed it to adapt to the advancing new technologies in communication. She’s been very happy with her new computer and finds it hard to break free from its grasp. She is still very careful and nervous about pushing the wrong buttons, but at this point of having it for only 2 months she can’t see herself not owning one.

Eric: What type of new technology have you recently experienced?

Shari: I recently just received a new computer from a friend and former co-worker. My friend bought the computer for me because he thought that it would help me keep in contact with friends and family.

Eric: Were you open to getting this or did you think it would cause more problems?

Shari: I was always skeptical of getting a computer because I thought that I was too behind to understand the new technology. I thought that it would be too hard to learn how to work the damn thing. I thought that I was going to have to learn it on my own and that scared me, but I had help from my sister.

Eric: Was it difficult to adjust to the new technology?

Shari: It was easier than I thought because I thought that if I pushed the wrong button on the computer that I was going to break the thing. Since the computer was a present, I didn’t want someone to lose money over the purchase. I’ve always been hesitant in operating something that I’ve never used because I feel like I’m going to break it. I don’t know why I have that phobia. Maybe I broke something at a young age and it’s always been in the back of my mind…hahaha.

Eric: What do you use it for?

Shari: Honestly, I’ve been on the computer playing games. My friend downloaded some games on there and I’ve been hooked ever since. I think I’m addicted to Solitaire! I use it for other reasons though too. I like to window shop on the internet. I don’t have much money but at least I can get an idea of what I want to get once I get the money. I’m going to be in an upcoming wedding so I’ve been looking at dresses, which the Internet has been great for. I also use it to email my friends and family who are not in town and I’ve recently been introduced to Facebook. I’m becoming addicted to Facebook too! All I need to do is get the hang of navigating on it and I'm set...or ruined. LOL!

Eric: So how do you primarily communicate with others? Email, IM, or Facebook?

Shari: I’ve been primarily using e-mail to talk to others. It’s such an easy process. I can’t believe that I was intimidated by the word e-mail when I didn’t’ have a computer. I absolutely love it! I’m getting into Facebook too.

Eric: What do you think of Facebook?

Shari: I think it’s great! Especially like it when I can find people who I went to high school with. I lived in a very small community so we were all pretty good friends. It’s pretty cool to see what they’re doing nowadays. I had no idea that there was an application like this.

Eric: What method of writing/communication did you use before computers?

Shari: I only used my telephone and I would write a letter every once in awhile, but I had my phone attached to my hip. Now that I have the computer I only keep it on the table instead of my hip…lol! But I still use the phone a lot.

Eric: What are some of the things that you don’t like when using a computer?

Shari: I feel like I need to constantly check my email. I don’t want to wait too long just in case the message is important. I find myself always going in that room to monitor what’s coming in. I also feel like I’m spending a lot of time on the computer. Time goes by so quickly when I’m on that thing! I get engrossed in what my computer has to offer. I wouldn’t say it’s a waste of time, but it makes me lose track of time easily. Also at work we use computers to take online orders and use email to talk to our customers about orders. I liked it much better when we used to talk to customers face to face. I think the personal touch is underrated. I feel bad for the smaller companies that are not connected to these new technologies. I feel that they are getting most of their business taken away from the bigger more technologically savvy companies. Smaller companies are being pushed out of the industry, which I feel sorry for my former co-workers that work for that small company.

No comments:

Post a Comment