Thursday, March 12, 2009

Grandmothers Changing To The TimesMelanie Erickson 3/12/2009 DTC 375 Jason Farman Wd 1147

Melanie Erickson
3/12/2009
DTC 375
Jason Farman
Wd 1147


Grandmothers Changing To The Times

I interviewed a great woman named Helen. I have known her for many years and she acts as my segregate Grandmother. She has lived an amazing life in her day with her husband Mike. She owned an antique shop and a bread and breakfast in California. She used a typewriter and forms to keep records and filed everything in a filing cabinet. It took a lot of time to do paperwork and keep things well organized. When he passed away she got her first computer from her granddaughter. In the three years that she had her computer she has adjusted well with it. She uses it for pleasure, social entertainment, hobbies and personal finances. She was surprised with the amount of usage that she gets with her computer now that she is used to it. She said that she saves a lot more time getting the tedious wok done so she can spend more time enjoying the things that matter most in her life. In the beginning when trying to learn the computer it was hard and she spent hours on it using trial and error; however she kept with it and it paid off in the end.

Melanie: When was it that you decided to learn the computer?
Helen: Just about three years ago I learned the computer. After my husband died, my granddaughter bought me my first computer for my birthday. She said that it would give me something to do with my free time and keep me from going insane. I let it sit for a long time. She came over one day and hooked it up for me and got me set up on-line. She showed me the basics and picked up a few books; you know the ones that are titled windows for dummies and internet for dummies. The title kind of took me off guard and made me up set that a book would call me a dummy. I got past all of that when I decided to move on from my loss and start living and getting things done that I put off.
Melanie: Did it work? Are you not insane?
Helen: Melanie you are delight. I think that it saved me; I get everything done in half the time now. I am insane in the sense that I am getting older and I can never seem to remember where my head is. Now if we could hook up my memory to the computer then I will do just fine. I can sit and do more cross word puzzles and read the books that I want to. I get more knitting done in my day then I was able to before. I stay in touch with my family; they have helped me more then they will ever know through the rough times and made most of my days good and filled my days with love and laughter.
Melanie: What form of writing did you do before the computer?
Helen: I wrote hand written letters to my friends. You know I have beautiful hand writing. I buy blank cards and stationary paper. I write about 15 different people that I like to stay in touch with. They live in California. I met a few of my friends in high school, and others were friends I meet in my journey of life. When your grandfather and I owned the bed and breakfast, and the antique shop in California in the 60’s and 70’s we used filing cabinets and receipt books to keep records. I used to do everything by hand and still do write my friends with my fancy stationary. I handwritten checks every month on the 1st of every month and spend about two days paying bills for both companies. I would have to write what it was for and do the entire inventory by hand as well. It was a lot of work keeping up with all the paper work involved in keeping up with a business.
Melanie: How has using the computer changed your life or the way you view things?
Helen: I have always resisted change in my life. When it works why change it. The computer was a challenge for me in the beginning, getting used to the windows and programs, deciding what to use my computer for. I think I went bold pulling out my hair during this time; it was not from old age. I put a lot of my important documents on the computer and have lost a bit of it from not saving the information right. This has caused me a lot of frustration and I wanted to revert back to my old ways, of keeping a filing cabinet and using log books. Once I figured out the tricks of the simple things such as saving, backing up files, and knowing which programs to use for the best results of my project, I have enjoyed my computer. I found that after the initial information was put in my computer it saved time with; looking up information, using the internet for shopping and meeting new friends has help me with my social life and keeping in touch with my family. I used the web cam to talk with all of my 18 great-grandchildren, and 10 grand children. I get to see their awards when they put it to the camera. I see their faces, and see how much they grow every day. A few of them IM me and send me e-mails. I feel closer to my family now than I ever have before. Now that I do not get the chance to travel; I feel like I am not missing out. I feel like I live right next door to them.
Melanie: What kinds of projects do you do on your computer now that you have familiarized yourself with it?
Helen: I pay my bills; I manage my personal finances, and all of my banking on the computer. I scanned all of my pictures in the computer, so I can get all of my scrap booking done. I make yearly personalized calendars for myself and family that are close to me with my scrap booking I do. I e-mail friends and family. I look up information and keep up with current events on-line and read the notional news.
Melanie: Would you ever think about going back to the historic ways of your life and get rid of your computer?
Helen: Not in your life. This present has made my life meaningful and keeps me sharp and young. This would be like giving up my freedom and my social outlet. This computer has been glued to my fingers for a long time. Without the computer I cannot keep up with the friends and family that I love and wish I could move next door to. This was the best present that I have ever received.

2 comments:

  1. Hi! You left a comment on my post about a Starbucks Quote from Augusten Burroughs, and you mentioned something about a YouTube video but it wasn't attached. Now I'm curious! If you head back to my blog you'll see a way to email me... I wanna' see that video! And I love this post about grandmothers... my 81 yo mother has Alzheimers and is in a nursing home... lots of my blog posts are about her. Thanks for commenting--please come back and send me the YouTube link!

    ReplyDelete
  2. okay, if you don't want to search for my email address, here it is: sjcushman at g mail dot com.

    ReplyDelete